September 17, 2015
Join The Big Give for Autism
Help Improve Lives Affected by Autism
As the nation’s oldest and largest grassroots organization founded to help all affected by autism, the Autism Society is IN communities, working FOR communities and collaborating WITH communities to make life better for those with autism.
For Fifty years the Autism Society has provided support to people on the autism spectrum, their families, caregivers, friends and loved ones. Consider how life with autism looked before the Autism Society was founded:
- Approximately one in four young adults with autism was socially isolated.
- Four in every 10 young adults on the autism spectrum never worked for pay between high school and their early 20s. Those who got jobs tended to work part-time in low-wage jobs.
- Approximately 26% of young adults on the autism spectrum received no services – services which could help them become employed, continue their education or live more independently.
- Over half of young adults with autism received no vocational or life skills services during their early 20s.
- Nearly 37% of young adults with autism were disconnected from both work and education after high school.
Right now you can stand with the Autism Society by getting involved in The Big Give for Autism– our biggest one-day giving campaign ever – using the hashtag #AutismBigGive.
- Promote early identification and access to effective treatments for preschool children helping to reduce lifetime care costs by two-thirds.
- Help parents, teachers, and caregivers build education and treatment programs, so that all children and adolescents can leave school prepared to reach their fullest potential.
- Ensure that every young adult or post-graduate with autism has access to services and supports that maximize independence and secure the highest quality of life.